I always thought I hated radishes, honestly. Apparently this can change… I had no idea that pairing radishes with apples would neutralize that overly spicy flavour, and actually make a really refreshing lovely little salad. Its quick and easy, and you can make it with fresh early summer radishes and chives and onions, in the fall with the latest apples, or in the winter when you have no idea what else to make with the paltry offerings at the grocery store.
In short, a great standby. I’m going to totally make this more often.
Apple Radish Salad
- 2 green Granny Smith Apples
- 2 Golden Delicious Apples
- 3 stalks of celery
- 10 medium radishes
- 4 green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- zest of 1/2 orange
- juice of 1/2 large navel orange
- zest of 1/2 lemon
- juice of 1 whole lemon
- olive oil
- salt to taste
- Optional: chopped fresh mint or chives
- Cut the apples in bite sized pieces and make sure to toss right away with half the lemon juice.
- Slice the radishes really thinly- either use the slice side of a cheese grater, a food processor, or a mandolin. Add to the apples.
- Chop the celery, green onion, and chives. Add to the mix.
- Sprinkle over the orange and lemon zest, and add the orange and remaining lemon juice.
- Drizzle over about 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup olive oil, Toss. Sprinkle salt to taste (but don’t add salt if you’re keeping it in the fridge a while, it will wilt everything. Sprinkle just before serving).
- Toss everything together, and serve. Finished! For protein, add in some walnuts or pecans and you have a meal Nut free: serve with some lightly poached white fish like tilapia or haddock or ocean perch.
This recipe goes well with:
This recipe is similar to: