Sweet Potato (Yam) Chips
I love the whole salty-crunchy thing about snacks. What I don’t love is how expensive the GF crackers, chips etc… are ridiculously priced. So, enter home made snackies! Super cheap, super tasty, and after these, you’ll never go back. First I’ll go over the yam chips, and then next post, beet chips!
These chips are perfectly crispy… you can brush them or toss them with any number of spices of seasonings. I like mine plain, but imagine how good they would be tossed with hot pepper olive oil…. oh yum.
Here they are, plain and simple and crunchy and snacky :)
Sweet Potato Chips
- 3 yams (sweet potatoes)
- 1/4 cup (or less, depends on your preferance) olive oil (or hot pepper olive oil!)
- sprinkle of salt to taste
- Peel the raw sweet potatoes first.
- Slice them thinly and uniformly- err. Skip the mandoline- use a food processor if you can! If you use a food processor, they will be thicker, and need to cook longer (30 min). If you slice them super thin on a mandoline, use the instructions below.
- Toss the slices with the oil and salt to taste (I would say about 1 tbsp per cookie sheet of chips works well)
- Lay them (don’t over lap!), on a cookie sheet.
- Fit a second cookie sheet overtop the chips, and cook at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Turn the sheets around to make sure they cook evenly, and cook for another 10 minutes. Remove the top cookie sheet and continue cooking another 5-10 min or until they begin to brown. If they are very floppy, keep baking. If they are only a bit soft in the middle, remove from the oven, let them cool, and microwave them in small batches to firm up the centres. Done!
Other Chip Recipes
Some great Dip Recipes