GF Vegan Tex Mex Salad
Whenever I think tex-mex, I think black beans, rice, corn, and chili. I’m probably wrong since I live so darn far from Texas , but whatever :) . This is the kind of salad thats more like a meal… The black beans and rice give the protein, and them everything else throws in some delicious little punches of flavour.
Note: anti candida and diabetic: If you are sensitive to starches and carbohydrate, cut the amount of bean/rice/corn in half, and double the raw vegetables. Replace the basmati rice with wild rice or brown rice. I know this is a corn-free blog, so feel free to eliminate it from the salad.
Also, for a little more kick, feel free to add in some finely chopped fresh chilis, or pickled jalapenos, or if you are not vegan, add in some grilled chicken pieces and shredded cheddar cheese.
On to the recipe! I figure I’m doing so many more sweets coming up, that at very least I should attempt to balance it with a few main meal type dishes.
Vegan Tex Mex Salad
- 1 cup basmati rice (anti candida: use wild rice or brown rice)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can corn (packed in water), drained and rinsed
- 1 chopped red pepper
- 1 cup chopped chives
- approx 8 cups arugula (or strong flavoured greens of your choice)
- 1 cup sliced green olives (don’t use if you are sensitive to sulfites!)
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 container broccoli sprouts (or sprouts of your choice)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp hot pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp olive oil or hot pepper olive oil
- juice of 2 lemons
- Cook the rice with the hot pepper flakes, 1 1/2 cups water, 1 tbsp olive oil and 1/4 tsp salt.
- In a separate skillet, saute the onion with 1 tbsp olive oil and a pinch of salt, till its soft and translucent.
- Toss all the ingredients into a bowl and dress with the mixture of paprika, olive oil, and lemon juice (season with salt as desired). Done!