Vegan Raw Pie Crust (or Cinnamon Sugar Cookie Crust)
OK, don’t let the hippie name fool you. It tastes like cinammon sugar cookies. And its super easy! And its alot healthier than regular pie crust. Just dump the ingredients in a blender, and go. Thats it. Its soo worth a try for a less-guilty dessert :)
Now, if you aren’t vegan or if you aren’t into raw food, or even if you aren’t struggling with food allergies, this pie crust is still a big winner. Consider all kinds of fillings for the crust- sliced bananas with vanilla pudding and dairy free whipped cream on top. If you can do dairy, try cream cheese and honey with cooked strawberries and lemonzest on top. This pie crust freezes beautifully. Fill it with dairy free ice cream and your choices of toppings! Ice cream pie!
I’d much rather call it Cinnamon Sugar Cookie Crust but then Google searches wouldn’t be so successful. *sigh*
This pie crust goes beautifully with my vegan cheesecake rhubarb pie recipe. Just doooo eeeeet.
Raw Cinnamon Sugar Cookie Crust
- 1 cup pecans or walnuts (roast them if you aren’t raw! very yummy)
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut (the dried shaved kind- organic tends to be sulfite free)
- 2 tbsp warmed coconut oil (or unhydrogenated organic palm oil)
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 6 large dates (or 12 small ones) soaked in water over night (or if you aren’t raw, microwave 3 minutes or more in a bowl of water till soft)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch salt ( 1/8 tsp)
- 1 tbsp agave nectar (non vegan can use honey) (or more, to taste)
- 1 tsp almond extract
- Put the pecans, almond and coconut in the blender, pulse till finely chopped (but not till its like flour!)
- Add in the dates, honey,cinnamon,salt and coconut oil. Blend until the mixture is well incorporated and starts becoming a ball rolling around in the blender.
- Press into the sides of a pie pan. Done! Fill it with whatever you want. No baking!
- HINT: Line your pie pan with parchment paper first, so its easier to remove pie wedges. Otherwise, this is very sticky stuff. Flip over your pie pan, trace a circle around the top of it, cut it out, and then cut slits into the sides of the circle. It should fit nicely into the pan and prevent a mess.
- ALSO: This freezes soooo well. Perfect for an ice cream pie!!