Cranberry Sweet Potato Salad with Maple Dijon Dressing ( GF, dairy free, vegan, paleo, nut free)
Happy Thanksgiving to all my lovely fellow Canucks- here’s a great sweet potato and cranberry recipe that works for so many different diets and has a wonderful holiday tangy taste with just the barest hint of sweetness.
Its nut free, and a liiiittle on the addictive side. Which is good, for something so healthy and festive.
This salad is more than just delicious. Its kinda sorta phenomenal. There is this wonderful spark from the dijon mustard that is evened out with the maple syrup, and the cranberries give this lovely lift of tiny tartness. The freshly roasted pumpkin seed give a wonderful nutty crunch and the chives simply elevate it to the next level. This salad is a meal, I’m telling you!
Sweet Potato Salad with Maple Dijon Dressing
NOTE: I suggest only adding the pumpkin seeds and chives just before serving, as the warmth and moisture of the other ingredients will soon turn the seeds and herb mushy if left too long. Storing in the fridge? Just sprinkle them on before eating- keep them in a separate container.
- 2 sweet potatoes or yams
- 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup frozen or fresh cranberries
- 1/3 cup chives, finely chopped
Dressing (adjust ingredients to suit your personal preferances)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (Paleo: omit, or use coconut sap, or perhaps stevia?)
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- salt to taste
- Make slits in the skins of the sweet potatoes or yams all the way around. Roast for 1 hour at 350 in your oven, or in your microwave for about 4-6 minutes each (turn them over halfway through).
- Peel and cut them into bite sized pieces (about 1-2 inches square or so).
- Roast the pumpkin seeds on a cookie sheet at 350 degreess for 5-10 minutes or until they start to go a bit golden on the edges. Watch carefully- they can burn.
- In a skillet, cook the cranberries over high heat until they have softened.
- Chop the chives finely.
- Assemble the salad ingredients in a bowl. In a separate jar, assemble and mix the dressing ingredients.
- Dress the salad to your preference and toss it all together! Done. :D