Red Pepper Mango Salad
Once in a while, when I am reaaaally lucky, I go to S.’s parents house for dinner. Now, if you’ve ever had home made indian food, you’d know what a humungus treat that is. One of the neat things about the dinners is the variety of inventive salads I get to try. This one is my favorite- so simple, a bit unusual, and totally delicious. Now, apparently original credit needs to go to Zarin auntie for this recipe, but I’ve only ever had Nasim auntie’s version (which is delicious!) so I think I need to thank both of them for it! Thaaaaaank you :) This junglee girl loves you guys so much. (even if I do tend to pour a little red wine in the bean sak from time to time haha…).
Okie doke! On with the salad.
The Aunties Red Pepper Mango Salad
- 1 red pepper
- 1 firm mango
- 1 tsp white rice vinegar
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- salt to taste
- freshlyground pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1tsp roasted sesame seeds
- Peel the mango and cut it away from the pit. Slice into thin sticks- this is much easier if the mango is firm and slightly unripened.
- Slice the red pepper into matchsticks.
- Roast the sesame seeds at 350 for about 5 min, or use them plain, or use black ones (as pictured).
- Toss the pepper and mango, drizzle over the sesame oil and rice vinegar and salt, and sprinkle over the cilantro. Add more of the dressing ingredients to taste, if you wish.
- Done! :)