Raw Blackberry Pineapple Butternut Squash Salad
Fallll! And its time for the two bajillion ways you can eat squash. I think I’m turning yellow already…. Betcha you’ve never eaten squash raw before!
You’re getting two different salads in this post. Both are delicious. One is kinda wintery- cinnamon, pears, raisins, sweet and homey for a cool night. Good for our American friends and their upcoming thanksgiving, and for my canuck peeps who are presently drowning in fall squash ;)
The other recipe is bright and really fresh and almost spring-like, and beautiful with the contrasting blackberries and pineapple and cranberries. Dudes, seriously, this is the pefect bright fresh salad.
If you don’t have any squash kicking around, you could just as easily substitute shredded carrots.
Here we go!
SALAD #1 Pineapple Blackberry Squash Salad
Pineapple Blackberry Squash Salad
- 1/2 large pineapple, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup dried unsweetened cranberries
- 1/2 pint (about 2 heaping cups) blackberries
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and shredded
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cp olive oil
- salt to taste
Toss it all together. Thats about it. :)
SALAD #2 Cinnamon Raisin Squash Salad
Cinnamon Raisin Butternut Squash Salad
- 1 small butternut squash or 1/2 a large one, peeled, seeded and shredded
- 2-3 handfuls of raisins
- 1/8- 1/4 tsp cinnamon ( go with less if you want a milder flavour)
- 2-3 Bosc (brown) pears, chopped
- 2-3 handfuls walnuts ( I prefer them roasted)
- juice of 2 lemons
- 2 tbsp agave nectar (go with 1 if you want it less sweet) Paleo- you might want to use coconut sap or a few drops of stevia
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt to taste
- Toss the pears with the juice of one of the lemons to prevent browning.
- Add all the other ingredients and toss together. No, seriously, its that easy. :)
- Note: adding a little grated fresh ginger might be a neat flavour boost.
- donezo! :)