Gluten free Vegan Raspberry Lemon Poppyseed Loaf (xanthan free, egg free, dairy free, sugar free)
Hey guys! I’ve missed ya over the last litle while :) I have a new recipe for you that I think you will totally love. I’m working on my dessert-like breads, and this one is a winner. It has the perfect balance of sweetness and lovely little punches of tart pockets with the raspberries. Kind of like summer dreaming on a winter day. Breakfast was a happy time this morning :)
Raspberry Lemon Poppyseed Loaf (Gluten Free, Egg Free)
NOTE: I prefer baking this in 4 mini loaf pans but I just did it with two medium pans and it worked nicely. You’ll note that it doesn’t rise super high- this is because we are xanthan free (and loving it). You can add a tsp of it if you need to for a higher rise if you wish.
ALSO- Mix the wet ingredients first. Gives time for them to gell. I noticed the agar agar powder (vegan) makes a lighter crumb and a more delicate flavour, but the gelatin (non vegan) holds everything together more sturdily. Both are good, pick hich works best for you.
- 1/2 cup rice milk (or non dairy milk of your choice)
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil (or light oil of your choice)
- 1/2 cup agave nectar (or other liquid sweetener of your choice)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp ground flax (or ground chia seed)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- zest of 2 lemons
- juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tbsp agar agar powder (non vegan: unflavoured gelatin)
- 2/3 cup white rice flour
- 1/3 cup tapioca starch (or starch of your choice)
- 1/3 cup arrowroot starch (or starch of your choice)
- 1 1/4 cups almond flour (this is hard to substitute…. if you had to, you could try 1 cup quinoa flour roasted at 250 for 1 hour, plus 2 tbsp chickpea or bean flour plus 2 tbsp sunflower seed meal/flour)
- 2 tbsp poppyseeds
- ½ heaping cup frozen raspberries
- 2 tsp baking powder (I use corn free, aluminum free)
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp celtic sea salt
- Mix the wet ingredients first, to give time for the flax seed and gelling agents to swell.
- In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients except the raspberries and poppyseed. Sift, then add the poppyseed.
- Add the wet to the dry, then mix in the raspberries.
- Pour into 4 mini loaf pans (you can use the foil ones from the grocery store) and bake at 350 for 25 minutes or pour into 2 medium pans and bake for 40 minutes. The loaves are done when it feels gently solid under the top crust rather than mushy.
Seriously, now wasn’t that worth all the wait?? :D