Gluten Free Vegan Gingerbread (Xanthan Free, Egg Free, Dairy Free)
Ok, so I’m whipping out my A-game right away this holiday season. Yup. Check this out- Gluten Free Vegan Gingerbread cookies that are sweet without refined sugar, spicy, crispy, and zero xanthan gum! BRING IT. Tell your gut its time for happy holidays with this cookie. And icing? Try this recipe.
So here it is. Beautiful gingerbread. Made from Real Food. Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Egg Free, Gum Free, Refined Sugar Free. Bring it on. :)
GF Vegan Gingerbread
Note: Make sure to roll these out thin!
*See substitutions below for help switching ingredients*
- 1 1/4 cups tapioca starch
- ¾ cup buckwheat flour
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup millet flour
- ¼ cup sweet rice flour
- ¼ cup almond flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp celtic sea salt
- 1 ½ tsp agar agar powder
- 1/3 cup coconut sap (or brown sugar), 2 tsp ground ginger, 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cloves, 1 tsp dark cocoa powder, ¼ tsp nutmeg, 1-2 grates black pepper
- ½ cup virgin coconut oil
- 2 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup fancy molasses
- 1/3 cup cooking molasses
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Sift them. (The coconut sap will have chunks, its ok, mix them back in).
- Cut in the virgin coconut oil with a fork, pastry cutter, or pulse in a blender until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Stir in the rest of the wet ingredients.
- Chill the dough for 15 minutes in the fridge to solidify the fat content.
- Roll out approx 1 cup at a time between two sheets of wax paper, to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut out your shapes. If its too sticky, refrigerate longer. (you may wish to spread a thin film of olive oil or a little bit of starch on the paper to cut down on sticking.
- Bake at 350 for 7-10 minutes on a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet (if you use palm oil, increase to 12-15 min). The cookies will be quite soft, but turning golden on the edges. Let cool for 30 min on the tray, then remove to cool for 2 hours on a rack before eating (the agar agar must have time to set, and the coconut oil must get solid at room temperature).
(use same amounts as original ingredients unless otherwise noted):
Tapioca Starch: arrowroot, potato, or corn starch.
Buckwheat Flour: teff flour.
Coconut Flour: ¼ cup chickpea flour plus ¼ cup teff flour.
Millet Flour: amaranth flour.
Almond flour: chickpea flour plus 1/4 tsp agar powder, or any nut or seed meal plus 1/4 tsp agar powder
Coconut Sap: brown sugar or sucanat.
Agar Agar Powder: 1 tbsp unflavored gelatin, or try 2 tbsp ground flax or chia added to wet ingredients. You could also try 1 tbsp psyllium husk.
Coconut Oil: palm oil, shortening, or butter.
Maple Syrup: agave nectar or honey.
Molasses: yacon syrup.