Gluten Free Vegan French Toast (Dairy Free, Egg Free, Paleo/Primal)
I’m finally posting this sucka! Ok, so, I don’t even want to talk much about it I just want to hurry up and share the recipe with you… I didn’t think it was possible to pull off a french toast recipe without eggs, but after some searching and googling and comparing and experimenting, I must say I’m very pleased with this terrific little baby. And its just in time for a nice Sunday Brunch this weekend!
Gluten Free Vegan french toast is one of those things you kinda yearn after when your breakfast options are limited. Steamy, slightly sweet, golden crust, and just perfect with a little maple syrup. I find that the banana in this recipe goes a long way towards sweetening it perfectly, and the extracts even out the tahini flavour beautifully. Now, if you are intolerant to sesame, you might like to try sunflower seed butter thinned out with more non-dairy milk, or a thinner nut butter like macadamia nut butter. If you want to make this recipe more paleo-like try the almond bread recipe below, and omit the maple syrup.
You’re probably wondering, how the HECK does this work!? Well, the high pectin content of a banana goes a long way to making it a natural binding agent in baking. Same deal goes for how it works with french toast! If you can’t do banana, try apple sauce, that might also work. The tahini gives the recipe body, and stickiness – check the ideas above if you can’t do sesame. Everything else is absolute golden goodness. Alright Alright enough of talking… EAT. Make it for your Sunday Brunch!
Gluten Free Vegan French Toast
- one loaf of gluten free almond bread (nut free: use GF bread of your choice)
- 2 very over ripe bananas (I prefer to freeze and unthaw mine, makes them super mushy)
- 1/2 cup non dairy milk (my favorite is home made cashew milk or almond milk Nut free: use rice or hemp milk)
- 1/4 cup tahini sauce (sesame free: try sunbutter thinned out with more non-dairy milk or macadamia nut butter)
- pinch salt
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp almond extract (nut free: omit or use another extract you like)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
NOTE: I hate to say this, but non-stick griddles or pans are your best option with this recipe. The natural sugars make this very sticky and un-cooperative with a stainless steel pan.
- In a blender or with a hand blender, puree everything except the bread.
- Cut the bread into 1/2 inch slices, and let soak in the mixture.
- Heat your pan or griddle, add the olive oil. Place the bread slices on the griddle.
- Flip the bread slices only when you can tell that they are a dark golden brown- other wise they’ll be more likely to come apart or stick to your flipper. Use a spatula/flipper thats as thin as possible to slide under the bread more easily.
- Cook the other side to a golden brown.
- Ya done. Seriously. Pour some maple syrup or sprinkle fresh berries on those puppies :)