Gluten Free, Dairy Free Oat Free “Oatmeal”
So its getting a little chilly in the mornings, and the thought of cold breakfast cereal when my toes are cold just kinda doesn’t get me out of bed too fast… However, this gluten free, oat free, dairy free “oatmeal” gets me jumping up pretty quick. Its so thick and creamy and has the perfect texture and sweetness… and its so darn easy to make! Dump in a pot, boil. Done. Seriously.
Oat-Free, Dairy Free Oatmeal (Vegan, Gluten Free)
Note 1: I like to make a big pot of it with the measurements below, and then freeze it in individual servings in silicone muffin pans. Then I pop one out for breakfast and unthaw it in the microwave with a little almond buter and non-dairy milk, and sometimes some berries. Yum.
Note 2: Serve this with frozen berries, and/ or a spoonful of almond butter mixed in. You can use any number of spices to flavour this while cooking- cardamom, cloves, alspice, nutmeg, ginger… Or any kind of chopped dried fruit to simmer in it for sweetness instead of honey (apples, dates, figs, raisins are all great). Throw in some sunflower seeds or chopped cashews or walnuts or pecans for more protein. Possibilities are endless!
- 1/3 cup dark red Quinoa
- 3/4 cup brown rice
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 6 cups water
- 3 tbsp honey (Vegan: 1/3 cup agave nectar or date sugar, or 1/4 cup maple syrup, or brown rice syrup or yacon syrup)
- 2 tsp vanilla (or try other extracts like almond, coconut, maple, rum…)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 can coconut milk (or equivalent of hemp, rice, cashew, almond milk)
- Put all ingredients except coconut milk in a pot, bring to a boil for 5 min.
- Reduce heat to simmer until water is almost all absorbed (about 45 min).
- Add in the coconut milk, and simmer another 10 min.
- Serve with a spoonful of your favorite nut butter and some fresh or frozen fruit.