Gluten Free Oat Free Nut Free Granola
Originally I thought this was going to be a granola bar…um..but not yet. I am still working on the proportions here. The darn stuff will just not stay in a bar form. However, as a breakfast cereal, its PHENOMENAL. I am so in love with this granola.
Its crunchy, a slight hint of chewy, gently sweet and just the barest hint of sea salt. With fresh blueberries, raspberries, and some almond milk or rice milk, genius. ( lately I’ve been trying watered down coconut milk, and thats super delicious with this too).
GF, Oat Free, Nut Free Granola
Note: This recipe does have shredded coconut in it, so if you are very strict nut free, take it out and increase the equivalent amount of any other ingredient listed.
Tree Hugger Breakfast :)
- 1/2 cup quinoa flakes (or any other flaked grain or cereal you like)
- 3/4 cup puffed rice cereal ( Make sure its gluten free! Rice Krispies isn’t.) (Anti Candida/ Paleo: Try slivered almonds or increase the seeds/unsweetened dried fruit)
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds (Top 10 Free: try adding raisins instead)
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup dried unsweetened cranberries (Sulfite/Nitrate free: usually organic dried fruit isn’t treated with sulfites or nitrates, so it should be a safer option)
- 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut (Top 10 Free and Nut Free: Try any dried chopped fruit)
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/3 cup puffed millet cereal (or any other puffed grain cereal you wish) (Anti Candida/ Paleo: try chopped walnuts or increase the seeds’ unsweetened dried fruit)
- 1/4 cup sunflower seed butter (Sunbutter)
- 1/4 cup honey (Vegan: 1/2 cup agave or yacon syrup) (Reduced Sugar: 1/3 cup coconut sap plus stevia drops to taste)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp extract of your choice- vanilla, almond, or anise. I love anise, but not everyone does ;) . If you use vanilla, feel free to use up to two teaspoons. Other flavour ideas: a little bit of orange zest, powdered or candied ginger, unsweetened chocolate shavings.
- Put the quinoa flakes and coconut on cookie sheet and spread out. Toast at 350 for a few minutes to lightly brown. Watch! They burn fast!
- Put the sesame seeds and pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds on a separate cookie sheet and do the same.
- Dump the quinoa flakes, rice cereal, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, cranberries, coconut, pumpkin seeds, and millet cereal into a large bowl.
- In a separate smaller bowl, add the honey, sunbutter, salt and extract. Heat over low heat so that it milts and mixes together ( I just microwaved it for about a minute or so).
- Pour the mixture over the seeds and cereal, and mix until everything is covered. May take a few minutes.
- Spread the mix over 2 cookie sheets and roast in the oven for about 10 min at 350 (keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn).
- Done! Serve with berries and rice milk , or munch on by the handful as a tasty snack :)