Gluten Free Fried Green Tomatoes (vegan, primal)
A fun re-post for you guys while I’m on travel status- fried green tomatoes without eggs or gluten… check it out :)
Ever since I saw that darn movie years ago, I have aaaalways wanted to know what fried green tomatoes taste like! Today for the first time ever in my whole entire life, I ate them and MAN they are yummy. What took me so long?
I know its sweltery hot out, and (healthier pan frying) anything seems a bit odd, but, it feels like such a Deep South humid night with cicadas and crickets and frankly…. its time for Fried Green Tomatoes.
OK, so if you’ve never tried them before, fried green tomatoes are slightly firm, slightly sweet, with the perfect nutty salty crunch coating. Its pretty much delicious.
I can’t even waste time here, I just have to share! Oh, btw, if you aren’t gluten/dairy/egg free, then here is the ‘regular’ recipe from Allrecipes.com
NOTE: this recipe linked to Cybele Pascal’s Allergy-Friendly Fridays check out her roundup!
Fried Green Tomatoes- Gluten Free, Egg Free, Dairy Free
- 1 tbsp finely ground flax seed (paleo/ non vegan: use 2 eggs, beaten)
- 1 cup water (paleo: skip)
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch (or boost to 1 cup if you don’t have the other starch) (paleo: you can try coconut flour)
- 1/2 cup arrowroot starch (or boost to 1 cup if you don’t have the other starch) (paleo: you can skip this)
- 1/3 cup amaranth flour (Paleo: skip)
- 2/3 cup almond flour (nut free: try crushed cornflakes or cornmeal or crushed dry GF cereal)
- salt and pepper
- 3 medium green tomatoes, cut 1/2 inch thick (go on the thin side- mine were too thick and weren’t totally cooked in the middle- the coating cooks faster than the tomatoes)
- 3 tbsp olive oil (paleo: try rendered pork fat) for frying.
- Add the flax to the water and let sit for about 5 min or so, until it starts getting thicker. Mix it around a bit to keep it from gathering at the bottom.
- Mix the amaranth flour and almond flour in a separate bowl.
- Mix the two starches in a third bowl, and season well with salt and pepper.
- Dredge the tomatoes in the starch mixture.
- Dip the tomatoes in the flax water mix.
- Coat them in the almond and amaranth mix.
- Fry in a pan until the side is golden and flip over to complete the other side. NOTE– your oil is ready if you put in a few crumbs and they sizzle significantly. Don’t crowd your pan, (put about 3 slices at a time), or else the water released from the tomatoes will be too much in proportion to the oil and it will all stew instead of fry.
- You may wish to change your oil after each batch- I noticed mine got dark with burned crumbs quickly.
- Cool on paper towel… serve with a sprinkle of salt or lemon juice. yuuuuuuum. Its like I’m in Mississippi and don’t even know it lol
Other neato gluten/dairy/egg free fried ideas:
Something to wash it down with!