Gluten Free Dairy Free Chicken Pot Pie
I’ve been looking forward to this for so long! Warm comforting casserole-type food with a creamy thick sauce pulling all the vegetables and meat together. You can make this recipe vegan easily- sub out the turkey or chicken meat and add tofu, or a mixture of toasted buckwheat grains and cooked quinoa. For the sauce, use vegetable stock instead of chicken stock.
Note: This is a 3 part recipe. The sauce is here. The pastry for the top of the casserole is here. I noticed the final result of the casserole is a touch liquidy, so I’ve included cooked quinoa as part of the recipe now to absorb any excess liquid.
- 1 headof broccoli
- 1 /2 head cauliflower
- 4-5 stalks of asparagus, snapped into pieces
- 2 cups cooked chopped bite size turkey or chicken meat ( Vegan: or tofu, or 1 cup cooked quinoa cookedi n 2 cups water plus 1 cup roasted buckwheat groats, dry)
- 1 recipe of gluten free dairy free cream sauce
- 1 recipe of gluten free dairy free pastry dough
- 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup quinoa with 1 cup water (only if you are using turkey or chicken. For vegan alternative, use amounts specified above)
- Make the pastry for the top of the pot pie. Let chill in the fridge.
- Boil the quinoa with the water on medium-high heat for 20 min or until tender.
- Cut the broccoli and cauliflower into bite size florets. Place on a baking sheet and toss with olive oil. Bake at 350 for 15 min, or until just cooked (broccoli should be crispy on the edges but still bright green).
- Make the gluten free, dairy free cream sauce.
- Mix together the quinoa, ( plus buckwheat or soy if using), with the sauce, turkey or chicken, and all vegetables.
- Add to a casserole dish. (If you want the whole thing to be a deep dish pie, roll out extra pastry dough and line the bottom and sides of the dish first. Bake at 350 for 10 min. Then add the filling, and proceed below).
- Roll out a section of the pastry dough and cover the casserole top with it. Cut slits for air vent holes.
- Bake at 350 for about 40 min, or until the crust is golden and the sauce is coming bubbling up around the sides.
- YOU MUST serve this with a squeeze of fresh lemon. It totally changes everything!