Dairy Free Gluten Free Vegan Mac & Cheese
Morning guys! this is a re-post of a favorite that we’ll be making today with Dr Joel Lee Villeneuve on RevIveLife. We’ll be there at 3:20 pm on Rogers cable 22 !
First up, I hafta admit its a step outside my no-carb January promise… I had a moment of weakness but once you try this, you’ll totally understand. If you are a strict low carb diet, you can always serve this vegan macaroni and cheese over cauliflower rice (chop cauliflower finely in a food processor then cook it covered – it steams naturally and is a great rice substitute) or serve it with cooked quinoa instead of rice noodles.
Alright, so, vegan mac and cheese. It does sound kinda gross, I mean, it conjures images of melting that horrible soy ‘cheese product’ I’ve seen at the grocery store. You know, the stuff thats totally not real food and makes you barf a little in your own mouth before you take a bite? Yah. That stuff.
This isn’t that stuff. This is super creamy, high in protein, melty, rich, and perfectly velvety. Its more like a hug in a bowl- hi-old-friend-thanks-for-making-today-feel-better (I love those moments).
I wanted to wait a bit before posting this recipe, but after my friend K. mentioned to me how much her little one misses mac and cheese from a dairy intolerance, I thought, ok, I’ll do this one first. K. is the one who sticks her cell phone up to the radio when she drives so that my answering machine will record our favorite 90s R&B songs at random times day or night. Its kind of a thing we do. Best buddies are like that, you know? They’re the ones you drop everything for because they come first. So, mac&cheese for K’s little monkey-princess, coming up first :)
Vegan GF Mac & Cheese
- 1 1/2 cups salted boiling hot water (take it from the noodles if you are doing noodles)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp to 1/4 cup cashew butter (go up to 1/4 cup depending on your taste preferance)
- 1 tsp rice vinegar (anti candida diet: omit, try lemon juice)
- 1 tsp roasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp tapioca starch plus 2 tsp water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
NUT FREE: Use 2 tbsp sunflower seed butter and 1- 2 tbsp tahini- even it out with a splash of agave nectar if you find the tastes are a bit strong, instead of using the cashew butter.
- If you are making noodles, use 1 cup of brown rice macaroni – they work really well. Make sure to boil them with generously salted water. (go to taste- not everyone likes the same amount of salt).
- Pull out 1 1/2 cups of the boiling water when the noodles are done, and set aside. Drain the noodles and toss them with the olive oil to prevent sticking. Anti Candida diet, Grain free diet , Low carb diet– Steam chopped cauliflower. Low carb option#2: Soak 1 cup quinoa overnight or rinse well, then cook in 2 cups of water till absorbed.
- Gradually mix the hot water with the cashew butter so that it thins the butter out. Add in the nutritional yeast, vinegar, and sesame oil.
- Pour over the noodles and toss to cover. You can garnish with chopped green onions (my favorite), or leave them plain. If you want them to soak a little longer, you can bake or microwave them for a bit to soak up more of the sauce. Deeee licious. :D