Dairy Free Frozen Orange Ginger Tea Latte
The sun is shining in Ottawa today, we’re finally out of the thunderstorms, and I figure if I put a slushie drink out there, then the universe will respond and give us another beautiful hot sunny day tomorrow, JUST so we can enjoy this treat. Whaddaya think? :) After the long day at work some of us had today, really, something cold, slushy, creamy and slightly sweet is exactly what we all need.
I really love this drink, btw. Just. Love. I keep a bunch of it in my freezer, ready for thawing and slushing for the hot days :)
BTW- a big thank you to Elana’s Pantry for linking to this recipe in her Iced Ginger Chai latte post!
Dairy Free Orange Ginger Tea Latte Slushie
- 4 cups almond milk (Anti Candida: choose unsweetened or or a light home made coconut milk, Nut Free: choose hemp or oat milk )
- 4 tea bags (I find Red Rose is a bit strong- maybe English Breakfast or Orange Pekoe?) (or 1-2 shots esspresso if you don’t like tea, or for some spice, try chai tea )
- zest 1 orange
- 2 tsp fresh grated ginger (I like mine spicy so I use almost 1 tbsp)
- 1/4 cup honey (Vegan: 1/4 cup molasses or brown rice syrup, or 1/2 cup agave nectar or maple syrup, Anti-Candida: use several drops of stevia)
- 1 tsp extra of fresh grated ginger (optional)
- Pour the almond milk into a sauce pan, and add all of the ingredients except the last tsp of ginger.
- Bring to a simmer, and then simmer for 5 min.
- Take off the heat, let it steep for at least 10-15 min.
- Remove the tea bags. Cool the mixture, pour through a strainer to take out the orange zest. Add the extra fresh ginger now (if you want it).
- Fill a glass with ice, then pour the mixture over top to just fill the glass. Pour everything in a blender and blend till its slush.
- Done peeps! And so very delicious!