Asparagus Citrus Salad
One of the best things about the onset of spring is the variety of salads just waiting to be created. This one is lovely- the bright green of the asparagus, the citrus sweetness of tangerine and a hint of sesame make it a perfect pairing for an asian-themed meal. You could also just serve it with rice and grilled chicken- great for dinner.
I think next time I would add a small spoonful of dijon mustard to the dressing, cut the asparagus a bit smaller so they could be coated more evenly with dressing, and remove the membrane from the tangerine sections. I might even use a touch of the zest in the dressing.
Asparagus Tangeine Salad
- 1 large bunch asparagus
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds (or a handful of roasted almond slices)
- 2-3 large tangerines
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- juice of 2 large tangerines or 1 orange
- salt and pepper to taste
- Grill the asparagus in a skillet with a touch of olive oil on medium heat until they can be pierced with a fork. (or blanch them in boiling water, but i prefer the grilled taste)
- Cut into thirds or bite size pieces.
- Cut the tangerines into sections, and remove as much of the thin membrane around the sections as you can, if you wish.
- Mix together the tangerine juice, rice vinegar, sesame oil, salt and pepper (add in a little dijon mustard or grated fresh ginger if you wish). Toss with asparagus and sprinkle sesame seeds over top before serving.
- Done and delicious.